Open for 2018 Spanish Outdoor Summer Camp Registration
Recent studies have shown the increasing importance of active academic and social stimulation throughout the summer. Researchers have linked an excessive amount of time off during the summer to lower test scores and a gap in a student’s academic knowledge. This phenomenon is typically referred to as the Summer Slide.
What happens during the Summer Slide?
- Children forget fundamental concepts learned from the previous school year. According to research, kids lose an average of 2.6 years of math computational skills over the summer. Studies also show comparable declines in reading and writing skills.
- Nutrition falls by the wayside, as kids consume three more ounces of sugary drinks per day, leading to weight gain.
- Younger students watch an average of twenty minutes more of television during the summer than the school year, while maintaining the same exercise schedule.
How can you prevent the Summer Slide?
- Read to your kids, and have them read to you, every day – Even if it’s the sport’s page, the comics section or the book they are reading on their summer reading list. This activity will increase their knowledge and expand their minds through text. Encourage them to visit their local library and check out their summer reading list or ask your child’s teacher for their school’s summer reading list.
- Prepare healthy food options for your kids – Limit the amount of sweetened beverages they drink and increase the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables they consume. Involve your children in food preparation to get them enthusiastic about healthy eating.
- Social activities – Sign them up for a summer camp, or an enrichment activity that engages them with other children.
- Make an effort to get your kids to exercise for at least 30-60 minutes per day, through morning or afternoon walks, bike rides, summer sports teams, or daily trips to the park.
- Use technology such as ebooks and mobile applications to make their summer learning interactive.
How Little Worlds Learning Center Prevents the Summer Slide
Little Worlds Learning Center understands the importance of summer education as it relates to your child’s academic and social development. With the idea of preventing a Summer Slide in mind, we’ve developed eight themed Summer camps that are filled with reading, singing, science and math activities, and engaging and safe outdoor activities. Our camps also focus reversing the knowledge deficiency that takes place over the summer by providing school preparedness in early development.
Our summer camps cater to children from 4 months to 6 years with various interests. Your kids can discover their inner Paleontologist during Dinosaur week, learn how to cook a scrumptious Sunday night family dinner dish at Culinary, and channel their inner Olympian (while getting plenty of physical activity) at our Olympics week. There’s even a Back to The Future Art week for the next Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerbergs of the world who love anything tech-related.
Learning a new language is emocionante at Little Worlds Learning Center! Children can enter at any skill level to learn more about Spanish language and culture, both through a traditional class setting and through activities centered around the themes they know and love.
The learning never stops at Little Worlds Learning Center. We understand that development truly begins at a young age, and our preschool and camps are designed to help spur that among our camp-goers.
Little Worlds Learning Center – Summer Camp Fees: Ages 4 months – 6 years